1/1 Photo of Spaghetti Sauce Like Mama Used to Make
2 hrs 30 mins
This recipe started with my Mom's recipe but frankly has gone through numerous tweaks over the years. Enjoy!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 lb white mushroom, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (5 1/2 ounce) cans tomato paste
- fresh ground pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- red chili pepper flakes
- 1In a large dutch oven, over medium heat, cook the beef and pork removing from the pot when cooked through.
- 2Leaving about 1-2 Tbsp of fat in the pot add the chopped onion, green pepper and mushrooms. Sauté for 5 minutes to soften.
- 3Blend in the minced garlic and sauté that for 30 seconds.
- 4Add the oregano, salt, basil, thyme and bay leaf. Blend in well and cook that for another minute.
- 5Add back the meat along with the remaining cans of diced tomato/sauce/paste.
- 6Bring the sauce to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Taste for salt and herbs, grind a teaspoon or so of pepper into the pot.
- 7Simmer uncovered for at least 2 hours.
- 8Serve over hot spaghetti garnished with Parmesan and chili flakes.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spaghetti Sauce Like Mama Used to Make
Serving Size: 1 (440 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 399.0
- Calories from Fat 195
- Total Fat 21.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 79.4 mg
- Sodium 815.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 12.4 g
- Protein 27.5 g