Recipe by HotWingRog
This recipe started with my Mom's recipe but frankly has gone through numerous tweaks over the years. Enjoy!!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 lb white mushroom, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (5 1/2 ounce) cans tomato paste
- fresh ground pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- red chili pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large dutch oven, over medium heat, cook the beef and pork removing from the pot when cooked through.
- Leaving about 1-2 Tbsp of fat in the pot add the chopped onion, green pepper and mushrooms. Sauté for 5 minutes to soften.
- Blend in the minced garlic and sauté that for 30 seconds.
- Add the oregano, salt, basil, thyme and bay leaf. Blend in well and cook that for another minute.
- Add back the meat along with the remaining cans of diced tomato/sauce/paste.
- Bring the sauce to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Taste for salt and herbs, grind a teaspoon or so of pepper into the pot.
- Simmer uncovered for at least 2 hours.
- Serve over hot spaghetti garnished with Parmesan and chili flakes.