Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe makes a large batch of sauce and was created with lots of leftovers in mind. I like to freeze single servings of just the sauce in ziploc bags for use at later date. Defrost frozen bags of sauce in hot water bath, serve over fresh noodles.
- 5 -6 large tomatoes (well ripened, darker red and juicy)
- 1 (18 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (i use aylmer stewed tomatoes with chili seasoning)
- 1 (20 ounce) bottle pasta sauce
- 5 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili seasoning mix (if stewed tomatos aren't pre-seasoned with it already)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon red hot pepper sauce (i use grace very hot brand)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 5 cups water
- add all ingredients to pot, simmer on low-medium heat (lower the temperature as consistency thickens to prevent burning) for 3 hours or until desired consistency (longer is better).
- Stir occasionally, more often as sauce thickens.
- if water evaporates too fast, add more and reduce.