Recipe by Concrete Gardener
This came from the "Tightwad Gazette" and is amazing with homegrown tomatoes!
Top Review by Bluemonkey
I have made this sauce many times....One year I made around 30 quarts of it. I lined quart sized yogurt tubs with freezer bags, filled, twist tied them shut and froze them upright. Later after they were completely frozen I pulled the bags out and stacked them like cord wood along the short wall of my chest freezer. We at this at least once a week over the winter and never tired of it. It makes excellent pizza sauce/bruschetta.
- 12 onions
- 6 green peppers
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 36 tomatoes, skinned
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 12 bay leaves
- 5 (12 ounce) cans tomato paste
Directions See How It's Made
- Finely chop onions and green peppers and simmer in vegetable oil.
- Add pepper.
- In a large pot, place the whole tomatoes, garlic, salt, sugar, spices and onion/pepper mix.
- Bring to a good rolling boil.
- Add paste last, one can at a time.
- Process in canning jars or freeze!