Prep 45 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is a really good recipe as you can use the sauce on spaghetti, baked in a ziti, or puree a bit and plop on a pizza. This does make alot, but is pretty easy to half.
- 1 lb mild Italian turkey sausage
- 1 lb hot Italian turkey sausage
- 6 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium bell peppers, chopped
- 2 lbs sliced mushrooms
- 5 (14 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (14 ounce) canspetite diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup dried Italian spices
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- In large saucepan, saute sausage, onions, carlic, celery, mushrooms, and peppers until sausage browns and vegetables soften.
- Drain mixture.
- Pour into slow cooker; add tomato products and seasonings.
- Simmer on low for 6-8 hours, stirring occasionally.