1/1 Photo of Spaghetti Sauce for Canning
4 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Chef #516477's Note:
Great tasting sauce. I wanted a recipe that would provide a smooth texture as well as have a few chunks in it. I like chunks but children prefer smooth. A compromise that works for us. Since tomatoes vary in acid levels adjust seasonings and sugar to your tastes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 18 lbs fresh tomatoes (which should equal to 4 gallons washed, peeled and chopped tomatoes)
- 3 cups onions, chopped
- 4 -8 garlic cloves, roasted
- 1 -4 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/8-1/4 cup canning salt, start with less and add more to taste
- 6 -8 tablespoons sugar, start with less and add more to taste
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1Prepare tomatoes, washed, peeled and chopped. Reserve 4 cups and set aside.
- 2Prepare garlic. To roast garlic place garlic cloves on aluminum foil and drizzle with olive oil. wrap foil around garlic, sealing edges. Roast at 350 degrees for 30 minute or until tender. Cool and remove papery skins.
- 3Saute 3 cups chopped onion until translucent. Reserve 1 cup and set aside.
- 4Mix all ingredients except reserved tomatoes and onions. Cook tomato mixture over medium heat until heated through and then simmer for 30 minutes.
- 5Using a food processor or immersion blender and puree tomato mixture until smooth.
- 6Continue simmering for another hour to an hour and a half until tomato sauce thickens.
- 7Add reserved tomatoes and onion.
- 8Adjust seasonings to taste.
- 9Heat thoroughly.
- 10Ladle sauce into hot jars leaving a 1 inch headspace. Process pints 20 minutes and quarts 25 minutes at 10 lbs pressure in a steam-pressure canner.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spaghetti Sauce for Canning
Serving Size: 1 (9138 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 202.9
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1503.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.0 g
- Sugars 30.7 g
- Protein 8.2 g