Recipe by echo echo
Here's one for when you've got up to 20 friends or relatives under one roof and need to come up with something easy for supper. If you find the ingredients need more binding, stir in 1 or 2 cans tomato paste. The ginger and allspice make a nice change from the usual Italian herbs; I've started with fairly small amounts but add more of either spice if it suits you. Add a huge bowl of salad greens tossed with a mixture of oil, vinegar, a little sugar and fresh-ground pepper, plus a couple loaves of garlic bread and you've got a meal.
Top Review by harleydog20
I thought this recipe sounded very interesting, especially when I read the review by the Italian Caterer! After chopping the onion and green pepper there was so much of it I decided just to use one of each...the rest of the recipe I followed exactly. Once the sauce was complete, all I could taste was onion and green pepper. I was really disappointed...so were the ladies at my church social.
- 5 lbs ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped fine
- 2 large bell peppers, chopped fine
- 9 cups stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a very large pot, brown the beef, breaking up the meat as it cooks, and spoon off most of the fat.
- Add the onion and pepper, and cook over medium low heat until the onion is soft.
- Add the tomatoes through allspice, and simmer until the sauce thickens a bit.
- Serve over spaghetti.