Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is my version of quick cook chili/spaghetti Sauce. Weird but true! Makes a wonderful chili dog too!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 stalks celery (chopped)
- 1 Spanish onion (chopped)
- 1 large carrot (grated)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 teaspoons cumin (separated)
- 6 tablespoons chili powder (separated)
- 4 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (23 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 4 jalapenos (seeds removed, chopped fine)
- 1 rind parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 12 stalks fresh thyme (leaves only, separated)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (separated)
- 1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans (1/2 drained, some liquid good)
- Put olive oil in a large pot, on med-high heat.
- Add celery, onion, grated carrot, salt, parsley and basil.
- Cook uncovered until translucent, add 1/2 cumin and 1/2 chili powder.
- Continue cooking for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add ground beef, stir and cover.
- Stirring occasionally, cook until ground beef is no longer pink (about 15 min).
- There will be quite a bit of "juice" in the meat mixture.
- Add the canned tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste.
- Bring to a simmer, lower heat to keep a mild simmer.
- Add 1/2 of brown sugar and 1/2 of thyme plus the jalapeños and the Parmesan rind.
- Simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Add the remainder of the cumin, chili powder, sugar and thyme and the can of kidney beans.
- Cook another 15 minutes and it's ready!
- Always taste and adjust if necessary before serving.