Recipe by jorgydee
I have tried many different sauce recipes and not one recipe has everything I was wanting in a spaghetti sauce. So I took everything I liked from each recipe and called it my own.
- 20 cups skinned and chopped tomatoes (I use Roma)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 green peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 bulb of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 (10 ounce) cans mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 bunch celery, chopped (leaves included)
- 8 cups tomato juice
- 4 tablespoons dried sweet basil leaves
- 4 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 4 tablespoons club house italiano seasoning
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup pickling salt
- 2 (13 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (1 3/4 liter) jar Prego spaghetti sauce, original
- 2 (43 g) packages spaghetti sauce mix
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stock pot add tomatoes, onions, peppers, garlic, mushrooms, celery, tomato juice, sweet basil and Italian seasoning.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Add sugar and salt and simmer 15 - 30 minutes longer, reducing liquid.
- Add spaghetti sauce, tomato paste and spaghetti sauce mix.
- Taste, add more seasonings if desired.
- Ladle into sterile pint or quart jars, leaving 1/2 inches head space.
- Process 10 minutes in hot water bath.
- *I use Mom's Pantry Italian seasoning, but you can use any Italian seasoning containing basil, rosemary, oregano and thyme.
- I do not do any chopping in a food processor, I do all of it by hand.
- I use heaping tablespoons for the sweet basil and the Italian seasoning.