2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I have tried many different sauce recipes and not one recipe has everything I was wanting in a spaghetti sauce. So I took everything I liked from each recipe and called it my own.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 20 cups skinned and chopped tomatoes (I use Roma)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 green peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 bulb of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 (10 ounce) cans mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 bunch celery, chopped (leaves included)
- 8 cups tomato juice
- 4 tablespoons dried sweet basil leaves
- 4 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 4 tablespoons club house italiano seasoning
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup pickling salt
- 2 (13 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (1 3/4 liter) jar Prego spaghetti sauce, original
- 2 (43 g) packages spaghetti sauce mix
- 1In a large stock pot add tomatoes, onions, peppers, garlic, mushrooms, celery, tomato juice, sweet basil and Italian seasoning.
- 2Simmer, stirring occasionally, over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- 3Add sugar and salt and simmer 15 - 30 minutes longer, reducing liquid.
- 4Add spaghetti sauce, tomato paste and spaghetti sauce mix.
- 5Taste, add more seasonings if desired.
- 6Ladle into sterile pint or quart jars, leaving 1/2 inches head space.
- 7Process 10 minutes in hot water bath.
- 8*I use Mom's Pantry Italian seasoning, but you can use any Italian seasoning containing basil, rosemary, oregano and thyme.
- 9I do not do any chopping in a food processor, I do all of it by hand.
- 10I use heaping tablespoons for the sweet basil and the Italian seasoning.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spaghetti Sauce - Canned
Serving Size: 1 (2782 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1730.8
- Calories from Fat 238
- Total Fat 26.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 18511.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 351.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 78.2 g
- Sugars 260.1 g
- Protein 58.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
spaghetti sauce mix