Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is one of my favorite Spaghetti sauces. Serve with a salad and crisp french bread.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 dash basil
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can rotel
- 1⁄4 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) package spaghetti
- Brown ground beef and onion in Dutch oven or large skillet Add all other ingredients except spaghetti.
- Simmer covered 1 hour Then uncovered for one and a half hours.
- Serve over cooked spaghetti.
This was my first attempt at homemade (at least not from a jar!) spaghetti sauce, and it turned out very nice and made quite a bit! I used only 1/2 lb beef and supplemented with finely diced zucchini and extra onion to make up for the missing bulk. I also used a 28-oz can of tomatoes and 1/2 can hatch green chiles instead of Rotel. I wasn't sure if I should drain the tomatoes or not so I didn't; next time I probably will. OH, and I threw the whole thing in the crock pot for about 4 hours on high, which worked out fine. Next time I will probably stir in some cheese at the end of cooking to take the edge off the tomato-yness, but otherwise I have no complaints. Thanks so much for posting. Made for PRMR.
Although I usually make meatballs separate from the sauce (then freeze a lot of it) I decided to make this up as a change of pace! The only change I made was to leave out the mushrooms, & still we had A GREAT TASTING SAUCE ~ VERY, VERY NICE! Froze most of it but kept enough out for a very satisfying lunch! Thanks for a great recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]