Recipe by JfsKnight
This recipe comes from mom. She's one of the best cooks I know and this recipe stands on its own. Very easy to make. Can be made vegetarian by omitting the meat and sauteeing vegetables in olive oil.
Top Review by katie in the UP
This was very good sauce! I used a whole (large) onion and a whole (large) bell pepper. I also added a 1/2 lb of mushrooms and a total of 8 cloves of garlic! Thank you JfsKnight!!
- 1 lb hamburger meat
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 (15 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 4 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1⁄2 tablespoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 3 pinches cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (or 2 cloves garlic, minced cooked with meat)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add first 5 ingredients to a 4 quart saucepan.
- Brown meat on medium heat and then drain the grease. If you omit the meat, saute the vegetables in 2 tbsp olive oil on medium heat.
- Use paper towel to wipe off any excess grease.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, cover, and simmer on low heat for three hours, stirring every 15 minutes.