Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe comes from mom. She's one of the best cooks I know and this recipe stands on its own. Very easy to make. Can be made vegetarian by omitting the meat and sauteeing vegetables in olive oil.
- 1 lb hamburger meat
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 (15 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 4 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1⁄2 tablespoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 3 pinches cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (or 2 cloves garlic, minced cooked with meat)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (optional)
- Add first 5 ingredients to a 4 quart saucepan.
- Brown meat on medium heat and then drain the grease. If you omit the meat, saute the vegetables in 2 tbsp olive oil on medium heat.
- Use paper towel to wipe off any excess grease.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, cover, and simmer on low heat for three hours, stirring every 15 minutes.
This was very good sauce! I used a whole (large) onion and a whole (large) bell pepper. I also added a 1/2 lb of mushrooms and a total of 8 cloves of garlic! Thank you JfsKnight!!