Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Thgis is great spagetti sauce that was handed down to me from my mother-in-law. My family says I've spoiled my children because now they will only eat this sauce not the jar type. Don't let the idea of making your own sauce scare you it is very simple to make.
- 2 packets spaghetti sauce mix
- 2 cans tomato paste (mid-size)
- 1 (32 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 green pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 package Italian sausage
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Brown ground beef in large saucepan.
- While beef is browning cut sausage into bite-size pieces.
- Add sausage to beef and cook until well browned.
- Chop green pepper and onion into desired size.
- Drain grease off and add onion and pepper.
- Add spice packets, tomato paste, tomato puree', water and sugar.
- Simmer over low heat for about three hours to allow flovors to meld, stirring frequently to keep from scalding the bottom.
- Serve over spagetti pasta or other pasta dishes.
- This can also be frozen in serving or meal size portions and thawed as needed.
I doubled this recipe for DH's office party--they loved it and begged me to make it next time, too. Great sauce! Thanks for posting it!