Recipe by Sweetiebarbara
I don't think of this as vegetarian, but it is. It's just the way I make spaghetti sauce, no meat. I listed small amounts of salt and pepper so that they are included in the recipe, please adjust to your taste.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium onions (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 bell pepper (diced)
- 1 pepper (jalapeno, seeded, cut into thin rings)
- 2 quarts tomatoes
- 14 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 -3 tablespoons basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onions in olive oil until translucent.
- Add crushed garlic and continue to sauté until golden.
- Add peppers and continue cooking, until soft.
- Add tomatoes, sauce, paste, salt, pepper, sugar, oregano, and basil.
- Simmer over low heat for several hours, or until thickened.
- Taste, and correct seasoning, I frequently add another 2 tablespoons basil, and perhaps more sugar, salt and pepper.
- Serve over pasta and top with Parmesan cheese.