Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
My dad makes the best sauce ever. My family requests this every time we have spaghetti.
- 6 medium mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 ounces white wine or 4 ounces water
- Add oil to saucepan and warm over medium heat. Add onion and mushroom saut'e until onions are clear and translucent (not browned).
- Add basil and tomato paste, stir and do not let paste burn.
- add wine or water. stir.
- add tomato sauce stir together and add sugar stirring after each Tablespoon.
- Reduce heat cover and simmer on a very low heat for 1/2 to 1 hour occasionally stirring so as not to burn.
- Serve over pasta.
We liked this easy meatless sauce. The flavor was nice but a little on the sweet side for some of us. When I make it again I will reduce the sugar. Thanks children from A to Z for a new and easy spaghetti sauce recipe. Bullwinkle.