Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
You can alter this recipe to your liking. If my husband had his way he would add mushrooms and black olives.
- 3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 7 (6 ounce) cans water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sweet basil
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- In a 8-quart pan saute' onion, green pepper and garlic in oil.
- Add tomato paste and water.
- Stir until smooth, then add rest of the seasonings.
- For Meat Sauce:
- In addition to the above ingredients, brown 1 pound Italian sausage and 1 pound of ground beef and add to sauce.
- Simmer uncovered for 1 to 2 hours.
This is an outstanding recipe. I made the meatsauce. The combination of Italian sausage and ground beef is wonderful. The only change I made was to use red pepper flakes instead of the black pepper. I served it with a little grated Parmesan cheese. I did shorten the cooking time by using the pressure cooker (30 minutes). DH is still raving about this, and is looking forward to leftovers tomorrow.