Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Finalized this recipe after years of trial and error. I guarantee you'll like it as much as I do.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut in 2-inch cubes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 8 sausages
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup Burgundy wine or 1 cup merlot
- 3 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can cold water
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- in a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- when oil is hot, brown stew meat until browned on all sides. remove and set aside.
- brown sausages on all sides in separate pan. set aside.
- brown the ground beef until done. drain and set aside with stew meat and sausages.
- saute onion in stockpot for 2 mins., add garlic and saute for another minute, while scraping up any meat from bottom of pan with spatula or wooden spoon.
- add wine, let it reduce by 2/3.
- add tomatoes and water. stir.
- add oregano, basil, sugar(to reduce acidity), and pepper. stir.
- bring to a hard simmer.
- add stew meat, hamburg, and juices from both to pot.
- reduce to a slow simmer.
- simmer 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- serve with your favorite pasta.