Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a wonderful meat sauce that I've developed over time. It doubles and triples very easily, so is great for feeding a crowd or freezing for future meals.
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausage, casing removed
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 36 ounces tomato sauce (this is a 28 oz can and an 8 oz can) or 36 ounces crushed tomatoes (this is a 28 oz can and an 8 oz can)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Put the bacon and onion into a large pot over medium heat. When the onion starts to go translucent, add the garlic and cook until the garlic is tender.
- Add the ground beef and sausage, and continue cooking until browned, stirring to break up the meat, than drain off all the excess fat.
- Add the tomato paste, tomato sauce, and seasoning (you can adjust the spices to your taste), and cook until everything is heated through.
- The sauce is great for eating at this point, but the longer you let it simmer, the more the flavours will meld and and intensify. Serve over the pasta of your choice.