Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This was one of my favourite meals my mom made when I was a child. I still love it, it's also the best spaghetti sauce I ever tasted! Don't be afraid to add all those onions, it actually helps the sauce to be less acid.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 onions, minced
- 2 bulbs of garlic, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package mushrooms, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 (28 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of tomato soup
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Pour can of chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato soup, grated carrot, dried oregano, basil, bay leaves and hot pepper flakes in a large pot and simmer.
- While the sauce part is simmering. Brown ground beef in a skillet until meat is well cooked. Drain meat under hot water. Add to simering sauce.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to skillet, add onions, celery, red pepper.Cook for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until vegetables are softened. Add to simmering sauce.
- Add 1 tablespoons oil, cook mushrooms for about 5 minutes. Add to simmering sauce.
- Add parsley to sauce.
- Simmer sauce on low heat, covered for 2 1/2 hours, Add sugar and simmer for anoter 1/2 hour.