Recipe by Bec
Needs time to simmer so plan ahead! From "Cooking a la Heart"- Delicious heart healthy recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program.
- 1⁄2 cup onion, sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups skinned and chopped fresh tomatoes or 2 (16 ounce) cans reduced-sodium whole tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans reduced-sodium tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large sauce pan, saute onions and mushrooms in oil.
- Add ground beef and garlic and brown lightly.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, parsley, oregano, pepper, bay leaf and water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 4 hours.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve over pasta and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.