Recipe by *sweetomato*
Nice, back of the stove, slow cooking sauce.
Top Review by Princess Pea
Fantastic! My DH just raved about this sauce. We like our sauce smooth, so I used my immersion blender at the end of the second cook time. I added cooked ground sirloin (seasoned with garlic powder and salt) on top of our boiled spaghetti noodles, then the sauce. For the two of us, this makes enough sauce for dinner plus two more dinner size portions to freeze, and another smaller portion to use for meatball subs or whatever. I followed the recipe (using Cento brand crushed tomatoes), added a little more garlic, but no crushed red pepper (DH is allergic), which I know would have kicked it up yet another notch. Thanks for this simple, yet delicious recipe.
- 59.16 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2.46 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 793.78 g can chopped tomatoes
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 226.79 g red wine
- 29.58 ml dried basil
- 14.79-29.58 ml dried oregano
- 4.92 ml kosher salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a 4 quart pot over medium high heat, add olive oil and red pepper flakes, stirring for approximately 1 minute.
- Lower heat to medium and add onion, sautéing until onion begins to be translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté for additional 2 minutes.
- Add both cans tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, sugar, and wine.
- Add spices, blending thoroughly.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 2 hours.
- Taste test after 2 hours and add more wine if too thick and re season as desired.
- Simmer, covered, for an additional hour.
- Can be slow cooked in crock pot on low for 6-8 hours.
- Cooked ground beef or turkey or cooked Italian sausage may be added upon serving if desired.
- This recipe freezes well.