Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
When I found this in an old cookbook, I thought of it as a very novel idea! It's got everything we know and love as spaghetti, only it's in a different form. Try this as a fun diversion of an old standby. :)
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese or 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package manicotti, cooked and drained
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease 13x9" baking dish.
- Cook beef in large skillet over medium-high heat until browned, then drain.
- Stir in onion powder, salt, pepper, and 1 cup spaghetti sauce. Cool and set aside.
- Reserve 1/2 cup ground beef mixture.
- Combine remaining beef mixture with cheese in large bowl.
- Fill shells gently with cheesy beef mixture using spoon.
- Arrange shells in prepared pan. Combine remaining 1 cup spaghetti sauce with reserved 1/2 cup beef mixture in small bowl and blend well.
- Pour this over shells in pan.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake 20-30 minutes or until hot.
- Garnish as desired.
Definitely glad that I tried this recipe. Weâ€™re a cheese loving family, so I added more mozzarella to the beef mixture, as well as some hot pepper flakes (we also love spice). In addition, we added more mozzarella on top of the sauce to give it more of a lasagna feelâ€¦ overall - WONDERFUL. We have taken this dish to a dinner party, and it was a hit. Thanks!
This dish was a good substitute for regular spaghetti. I made this with large shells instead of manicotti. I also added 2 tbsp of sour cream & 2 tbsp of parmesan cheese to the beef mixture & used Italian cheese mix. Thanks for the recipe...
This was really good and easy to make. I followed the recipe as written other then I used 2 cups of mozzarella cheese as we like things cheesy. I am going to add this to my OAMC plan. Thanks for a great meal.