Recipe by Little Mommy
This is a timeless spaghetti sauce, a favorite of my Grandmother's. Due to health issues she can't cook anymore, but this is one of her favorites. In the summer I steal fresh tomatoes from my parent's garden... you can't beat this sauce when it's made with homegrown tomatoes. Leave it chunky or run it through a blender... it's up to you!
- 4 -5 fresh whole tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 large onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 lb hamburger, browned and drained
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
- 3 slices bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat olive oil in pan
- Peel and chop tomatoes.
- saute onion and garlic until tender.
- add tomatoes, salt, basil, oregano, bay leaf, sugar, crushed red pepper flakes, tomato paste, hamburger and 4 strips of bacon.
- cover and simmer 15-20 minutes.
- serve over pasta and sprinkle with remaining bacon.