Recipe by Maine-iac
A delicious quick Italian red sauce with black olives and capers. A must in your recipe folder.
Top Review by Sharlene~W
Excellent sauce and easy to make. I love my puttanesca sauce a bit more spicy, So I increased red pepper flakes, add a few dashes of red pepper sauce (Tabasco) and about 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper. I also felt it needed to simmer more than twice to time to get to right thickness. In the last few minutes, I tossed in 4-5 large shrimp per person. This is a keeper Maine-iac!
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 992.23 g can Italian plum tomatoes, drained & roughly chopped
- 14.79 ml capers
- 158.51 ml oil-cured black olive, pitted and roughly chopped (I use greek Kalamata olives)
- 0.25 ml dried red pepper flakes
- 4.92 ml dried basil
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 0.59 ml fresh ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 453.59 g spaghetti
- 4.92 ml dried parsley
- parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, stir, 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, capers, olives, red pepper flakes, basil, oregano, and black pepper, return to low heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Reduce the heat to very low, simmer another 15 minutes.
- Cook the spaghetti in plenty of boiling water until al dente; drain.
- Toss the spaghetti with the sauce, sprinkle on the fresh parsley, Parmesan cheese, and serve.