Recipe by Julesong
This is one of my adopted recipes. It looks like a dish my family and I would enjoy, so I hope to make it and edit it in the future.
Top Review by Montana Heart Song
This was good. Our son made 2 "pies". One totally meatless with mushrooms, thin sliced celery, grated carrots, tomato sauce instead of paste,italian seasoning,diced italian tomatoes and cottage cheese blended in blender, one envelope of Splenda and the balance of recipe the same as the meat recipe. He used chopped garlic in a jar for both and italian diced tomatoes for both and frozen chopped green,red and yellow peppers amd white sweet onion. In the "meatless" pie he used some small pieces of velveeta cheese along with the parmesan cheese for the crust. I told him to cook the meatless pie for 40 minutes because of the celery. It was perfect. Still crunchy but cooked enough!!! He doubled all ingredients for the pies and added the vegies! His Dad loved it and I loved it too. Same meal with slight variations. Thanks for posting.
- 1 (6 ounce) package spaghetti (we use lower carb spaghetti from Mission)
- 2 well beaten eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine (butter preferred)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) containerricotta or small curd cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 lb lean ground beef or 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper ((or red/yellow/orange bell peppers if you don't like green))
- 1 (8 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried oregano, or basil, or both, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the spaghetti according to directions on package and drain.
- Stir butter, parmesan, cheese, and eggs in hot spaghetti.
- Form mixture into a "crust" in a buttered 10" pie plate.
- Spread cottage cheese over bottom of spaghetti crust.
- In skillet, cook ground beef or sausage, onion, and pepper until vegetables are tender and meat is browned.
- Drain excess fat.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, brown sugar, oregano, garlic, and tomato paste and heat.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper, then transfer meat mixture into spaghetti crust.
- Bake uncovered in 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle mozarella cheese on top.
- Bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.