Recipe by noway
First of three pasta pies from an old BH&G cookbook.
Top Review by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
Really tasty! It's a keeper. The whole family enjoy it. I used linguini noodles, spicy Italian sausage (our preference) and smashed the cottage cheese to make it creamier. Next time I may run it thru the food processor to make smoother. I'm always worried about the kids dissecting out 'things' they can identify. Thanks for posting an easy & great alternative to lasagna.
- 4 ounces spaghetti
- 2 eggs, beaten in separate bowls
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter, cut up
- 1 cup cottage cheese, drained
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef or 1⁄2 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 3⁄4 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions and drain.
- Combine 1 beaten egg, Parmesan, and butter in a medium bowl. Add spaghetti, toss to coat.
- Press spaghetti mixture into the bottom and sides of a greased 9-inch pie plate to create crust.
- Combine 1 beaten egg and cottage cheese in small bowl. Spread over the spaghetti crust and set aside.
- Cook meat, onion, and green pepper in skillet until the meat is brown. Drain excess fat from skillet and stir in spaghetti sauce. Cook until heated through.
- Spoon meat mixture over cottage cheese layer.
- Bake uncovered at 350F for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake another 5 minutes or more until cheese is melted.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.