Recipe by Chef 'Diva Divine
For the spaghetti crust, use 2 forks, a rubber spaula, or a wooden spoon to firmly press the spaghetti mixture evenly onto the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate. Build the edges high enough to hold all the filling.
Top Review by **Tinkerbell**
We loved this! To be honest, I'd rather make up one of these than spend a lot of time on layering a lasagna! I had to sub for the green pepper, didn't realize I was out, and came up with a small 4oz can of diced green chilies. No doubt the flavor of the dish was altered, but I know I can give it 5 stars when at the dinner table we are already talking about the next time I make it, which will be with green peppers. Either way, it's delish! We enjoyed having a light & simple red sauce that didn't overpower the other components. I especially liked that I could make this ahead. Today I refrigerated it til dinnertime & then baked it 25 minutes with foil & then 10 minutes without. But I could easily make a double/triple batch & freeze several pie plates at a time for OAMC. I will be keeping this recipe close. Thanks for sharing "Diva D! Made for Fall 2008 PAC-O.
- 4 ounces spaghetti
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 tablespoon light margarine
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 3⁄4 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons garlic (minced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed (optional)
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (ground)
- 1⁄2 cup low fat mozzarella (shredded)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook pasta in unsalted water for approx 10-12 mins, just till tender. Drain well, and return to saucepan & stir in margarine till melted. Stir in egg, & parm.
- Spray a 9" pie plate with cooking spray, coting. Press spaghetti mixture on the bottom & up the sides of the pie plate, forming a crust. Spread cottage cheese over crust.
- Cook beef, onion, green pepper, garlic, and fennel seed, till onion is tender and meat is NO longer pink. Drain & stir in tomato sauce and oregano; heat through. Spread meat mixture over cottage cheese. Sprinkle mozz atop meat mixture.
- Bake uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or till bubbly.