Recipe by Southern Lady
All the vegies make this a one dish meal. Family pleaser! Didn't find this as a dup on Zaar. You can buy dried red bell pepper over the internet for the occasions you run out of fresh. Enhanced from a recipe from Diana's Kitchen.
- 4 ounces spaghetti
- 8 ounces extra lean ground beef (mild or spicy) or 8 ounces Italian sausage (mild or spicy)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, sliced thinly
- 8 ounces tomato sauce or 8 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2⁄3 cup ricotta cheese or 2⁄3 cup cottage cheese
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded or 4 ounces provolone cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare pasta in salted water to al dente, cool slightly.
- Begin browning ground beef & onion in olive oil and add garlic the last 1-1/2 minutes of browning. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to beef.
- Add bell peppers and carrots cooking another 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add tomato sauce and paste and cook through stirring often. Reduce heat to a slow simmer.
- In a bowl mix spaghetti, parmesan cheese, egg, oregano and Italian seasoning.
- In a 9" deep dish plate, spray with non-stock oil and pat spagehtti mixture evenly.
- Spoon ricotta cheese and spread evenly as possible. (If you prefer a less tangy flavor, use cottage cheese).
- Carefully pour meat sauce over spaghetti.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees or until brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.