Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Thought this sounded good and a bit different from the usual spaghetti pie. Recipe source: Cok's Country (February 2005)
- 4 ounces vermicelli, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced (or 1 teaspoon dried basil)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 tablespoon fresh, minced)
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Bring about 2 quarts of water to a boil and add pasta and salt and cook according to directions on package. Drain.
- Combine drained pasta, garlic, butter, parmesan, egg and basil in a bowl. Press mixture into a deep 10-inch pie pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until crust is set. Let cool.
- To make filling heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3-5 minutes or until soft. Add beef and cook 6-8 minutes or until brown. Drain off excess fat.
- Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, and sugar and summer for 3-5 minutes. Stir in basil, salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine ricotta, egg and oregano. Spread cheese mixture over pasta crust. Top with meat sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool 15 minutes before slicing.
Very good. I messed up and put the meat sauce on top of the crust instead of cheese first, so I added some jarred sauce on top. Loved the crust bottom.
This was absolutely delicious! pasta and ricotta, two of my favorite things lol! I did make a couple of minor adjustments on amounts, and used spagettini, which is the thinner spaghetti, I did not have vermicelli handy, fresh basil and oregano is a must for this recipe! Thanks so much Ellie, we loved it!...Kitten:)