- 1⁄3 lb ground sirloin (optional)
- 1⁄4 lb whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup diced red onion
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 (2 ounce) jar diced pimentos
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan or pot. Saute onions in oil. Do not brown.
- Drain liquid from diced tomatoes & pour liquid over onions.
- Add basil, Italian seasoning, oregano, sugar, & red peppers. Simmer 30 minutes until reduced by half.
- In skillet, brown meat & set aside.
- Cook spaghetti according to package instructions.
- TO onion mixture, add all tomatoes, & pimentos, and cook 1 minute until just heated.
- Spoon meat & sauce over spaghetti & serve.