Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
O.k..... so you have made meatbalss before!!!! BUT have you tried Aussie meatballs, using Kraft Vegemite? Go on .................these might suprise you! You can use Beef or Lamb mince for this recipe..... I prefer the Beef as I dont eat lamb. Serve over spaghetti with a sprinkling of Parmesan Cheese. I use fresh breadcrumbs and wholegrain breadcrumbs could also be also be used. ....ohh and dont forget the garlic bread!
- 500 g lean ground beef
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, finely crushed
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon vegemite
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 810 g crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste, salt reduced
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon parsley, finely chopped
- black pepper
- Mix together the beef, breadcrumbs, egg, spring onions, carrot, garlic and Vegemite until well combined. Roll mixture into 24 even sized balls.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan, add meatballs and cook over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes until golden brown all over. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, oregano, thyme, parsley and pepper tp taste. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through.
- Serve over spaghetti with the parmesan sprinkled on top.
Made this for Little Miss and Hubby and they both enjoyed it. I had to leave out the carrots because I didn't have any at home, but other then this everything was kept as written. They both really enjoyed it. Thanks for posting your recipe Tisme
I made a full recipe for the DS and I (will be freezing the other half) I could only get through 4 meatballs but the DS got through 8 and the garlic bread (too much carb for me), though I had a small side salad. I topped with some pizza cheese mix (mozzarella, tasty and parmesan) which was left over from the previous nights pizza. Thanks Tisme for a great dinner, made for Make My Recipe - Edition 11.
This was really good I made as directed but I did add extra garlic to the meatballs because we love it... I also added a little balssmic vinegar to the sauce along with sugar and a touch of garlic to that as well. My family are big spaghetti and meatball lovers so I knew this would go down well.. I had everyone keep coming into the kitchen asking how long it would be because of how good it smelled. I just served it over spaghetti as suggested and topped with shaved parmesan cheese for a real family pleaser. I loved the addition of the vegemite. Thanks for sharing Tisme