A recipe that will delight the kids, not to mention dad! These would be good for halloween too, they look like little octopuses! From the episode A Plate for Pop by Rachael Ray on 30 Minute Meals.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb spaghetti, broken into pieces
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1 large bunch parsley, leaves only
- 1 bunch basil, leaves only
- 2/3-3/4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, grated (or finely chopped )
- fresh ground black pepper
- extra-virgin olive oil (about 1/3 cup plus some for drizzling)
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- 1 large egg
- 1 couple handfuls breadcrumbs
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped (or grated)
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes (recommended San Marzano)
- 1Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 2Bring a medium sauce pot of water to a boil over high heat, salt water and cook pasta to al dente 7 minutes or so, drain and quick-cool on a baking sheet.
- 3While pasta cooks, toast pine nuts. Make a thick herb pesto by placing the herbs, cheese, garlic and nuts in food processor with salt and pepper. Turn processor on and stream in about 1/3 cup olive oil to make the pesto very thick.
- 4Place meat in a bowl. Season the meat with salt and pepper. Add cooked pasta, egg, bread crumbs and half the pesto to the meat. Mix to combine and form into 16 balls, and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Let the spaghetti pop out of meatballs like porcupine quills. Coat balls with a little olive oil and roast 12 to 15 minutes until firm and golden in color, basting once or twice with the oil. Remove from the oven and place on a serving platter.
- 5While meat roasts heat a genorous drizzle of olive oil in a sauce pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots, season with salt and pepper, and saute for 5 minutes. Stir in the stock, add tomatoes and crush with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook for 5 minutes more, then stir in remaining pesto and transfer to a serving bowl or 4 individual ramekins for dipping. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spaghetti Meatballs and Tomato-Basil Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (609 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 795.2
- Calories from Fat 312
- Total Fat 34.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 203.5 mg
- Sodium 640.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 63.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: