Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Very nice sauce; you should try it alt least once.
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (Hunt's no salt added)
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (, Hunt's no salt added)
- 1⁄2 lb ground round (omit both for vegetarian) or 1⁄2 lb ground turkey (omit both for vegetarian)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon crushed basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt substitute
- Blend the stewed tomatoes and crushed tomatoes in a blender.
- In a stock pot or large kettle, brown the ground beef with the onions, peppers, garlic.
- Pour in tomatoes and reduce heat.
- Add basil, sugar, oregano and simmer about 40 minutes.
- Periodically check consistency; if sauce is too runny or liquid, add no salt added tomato paste or cornstarch paste to taste.
- Sprinkle with salt substitute and pepper before serving.
nice lasagna sauce
Tasty sauce. Different and fresh tasting. I made the recipe exactly as is (the vegetarian version) and it came out great. Very simple and quick. The amounts of basil and oregano were perfect.
A nice sauce that doesn't take too long. I used a 28-oz can of diced tomatoes pureed in the blender. I also simmered with a few bay leaves and added a dash of celery salt. We enjoyed. Thank you.