- 396.89 g can stewed tomatoes (Hunt's no salt added)
- 396.89 g can crushed tomatoes (, Hunt's no salt added)
- 226.79 g ground round (omit both for vegetarian) or 226.79 g ground turkey (omit both for vegetarian)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 7.39 ml crushed basil leaves
- 14.79 ml white sugar
- 1.23 ml dried oregano
- salt substitute
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend the stewed tomatoes and crushed tomatoes in a blender.
- In a stock pot or large kettle, brown the ground beef with the onions, peppers, garlic.
- Pour in tomatoes and reduce heat.
- Add basil, sugar, oregano and simmer about 40 minutes.
- Periodically check consistency; if sauce is too runny or liquid, add no salt added tomato paste or cornstarch paste to taste.
- Sprinkle with salt substitute and pepper before serving.