Prep 25 mins
Cook 9 mins
A recipe given to my by a friend
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb spaghetti, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits
- 3 medium tart apples, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- maraschino cherry, halved
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, eggs, lemon juice and salt; cook and stir over medium heat until temperature reaches 160 F and mixture is thickened, about 4 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water.
- Place in a large bowl.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Pour juice over the spaghetti; stir in apples.
- Toss gently: drain.
- Stir in the egg mixture and pineapple. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Fold in whipped topping just before serving.
- Garnish with walnuts and cherries.
I've made this recipe for years only I use crushed pineapple instead of the tidbits. People are often hesitant to try it because it looks and sounds so strange, but it is great! Thanks for posting one of my all time summer favorites!
Fresh, delicious and a sweet treat. This is not only a salad, this is also a great dessert. Very easy to make. I followed the directions and it came out as expected. I subed the spaghetti by short coloured pasta and I think you can use the pasta you like most for this recipe. The combination of pasta with apples and pineapple is great, sweet with a slight tart touch. Thanks for sharing this excellent recipe.