Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A great Sicilian dish handded down from my Nonnie. It sounds odd, but give it a shot and you'll love it! Directions is for a serving of 8 eggs (2 eggs per person) & a pot of gravy.
- 2 (28 ounce) canskitchen ready tomatoes
- 4 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste (small)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1 onion (optional)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- 4 -8 eggs (1 or 2 per person)
- 1 lb angel hair pasta
- Let a about 2 Tblsps Olive Oil heat in a pasta pot.
- Chop the Garlic and combine with oil.
- Sprinkle Cayan Pepper over the oil and let simmer.
- Chop onion (opt.)and cook until soft in the Olive Oil.
- Combine Tomato Paste and let cook combining a cup or so of cold water. Let cook for about 5 minutes adding seasons as desired. Add the 2 cans of Kitchen Ready Tomatoes and let simmer adding 1/2 cup of finely grated Romano Cheese. After letting this sit for a while the gravy will begin to thicken, add 2 tomatoe cans of cold water.
- Let come to just about a boil and crack the egg into the pot. Give enough room to each of the eggs cooking in the pot so they are not touching eachother.
- Reduce heat and let cook.
- Boil the pasta as instructed on the box.
- The eggs usually take about 10 - 15 minutes to cook, the best way to tell if they are done is to carefully scoop them, if they jiggle, let them cook. Otherwise, serve pasta with gravy and place eggs atop the pasta.
- Adding Romano cheese is delectable!
- A must know about this one, never stir the gravy once you have added the eggs to the pot, doing so will break up the eggs and make a bit of a mess in your pot of gravy.
- Enjoy, I hope you like it :).
WOW! When I came across this recipe I thought it sounded very odd, but certainly worth a shot. I too come from Sicilian heritage but have never heard of such a dish. My husband loved it just as much as I did and I will be cooking it for guests soon. The eggs were delicately cooked and went well with the "gravy", I made the dish with Ziti but realized after that I should have made it with the suggested Angel Hair becuase the eggs do fill you up. I hope you all give this a shot, it really is excelent!! :)