Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Pepperoni or salami works well for this also, just layer the pepperoni or salami *over* the pasta sauce instead of under it, or use ground beef in place of the sausage meat. All spice amounts can be adjusted to taste.
Top Review by Abby Girl
I made this dish because I wanted to clean up "odds and sods" and also it was an easy meal for when we hosted the guys to come over to watch the Stanley Cup. I made this up the day before, so I was kinda worried how the milk/egg mixture would work out. I don't have a 13 x 9 casserole dish, so I used 2 - 8 x 8. Here are my changes: I would cut the spaghetti down to 3/4 lb and I used 3/4 tsp salt and 1 tsp garlic powder. I served this with a salad and a side dish of Carla's recipe # 6442 and one of my casserole dish could have feed 6 - 8 people. I sent the other casserole dish to the office for lunch and hopefully the boys will finish it off. (wasn't sure if this could freeze??) Next time, I would cut the recipe in half. Overall, I got high praise from my DH and DD and that was what counted the most. Kudos, Kitten on an excellent recipe
- 1 lb uncooked thin spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 lb cooked Italian sausage, casings removed (cook the sausage along with 1 medium chopped onion, can use more or less sausages)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- black pepper
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided (or to taste)
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups prepared favorite spaghetti sauce (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Break the uncooked spaghetti in thirds.
- Cook the spaghetti in a large pot of boiling salted water until JUST al dente; strain then toss with 2 tablespoons butter.
- Spread warm pasta into the bottom of the baking dish.
- In a bowl combine milk, eggs, garlic salt and black pepper until well combined; pour over the spaghetti.
- Sprinkle 1-1/2 cups (or to taste) mozzarella cheese over the milk mixture.
- Sprinkle about 1/3 to 1/2 cup parmesan cheese on top of the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven then drizzle with the spaghetti sauce.
- Sprinkle the cooked sausage meat over the sauce; return to oven for about 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated through.
- Sprinkle with about 1-1/2 cups mozzarella cheese and return to oven for 3-4 minutes or until melted.