Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Spaghetti with Walnut Sauce
- 1 cup walnut pieces or 1 cup walnut halves
- 3 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons cream
- salt and pepper
- 14 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Drop the nuts in to a small pan of boiling water, and cook for 1-2 minutes. Drain. Slip off the skins. Dry on paper towels. Coarsley chop and set aside about a quarter of the nuts.
- Place the remaining nuts, the breadcrumbs, oil, parsley and garlic, if using, in a food processor or blender. Process to a paste. Remove to a bowl and stir in the softened butter and the cream. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the pasta in a large pan of rapidly boiling slated water until al dente. Drain, and toss with the sauce. Sprinkle with the reserved chopped nuts, and pass the Parmesan separately.