Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A classic Italian dish made with fresh clams. Posted for ZWT 7-Italy. Found on alleasyrecipes,com.
Make and share this Spaghetti Con Le Vongole (Spaghetti With Clam Sauce) recipe from Food.com.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 cup clam broth, fresh from the shucked clams or 1 cup bottled clam juice
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 6 -8 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 lb spaghetti or 1 lb linguine
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- 3 dozen small hardshell clams, shucked
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf Italian parsley
- white pepper
- In a heavy 10-12 inch skillet, heat the olive oil until a light haze forms over it. Stir in the garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, for about 30 seconds.
- Pour in the clam broth and wine and boil briskly over high heat until the foam disappears and the liquid has reduced to about 3/4 cup. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large kettle or soup pot bring the water and salt to a bubbling boil over high heat.
- Drop in the spaghetti and stir it gently with a wooden fork or spoon for a few moments to prevent the strands from sticking to one another or the bottom of the pot.
- Boil over high heat, for 7-12 minutes, or until the pasta is tender.
- Test it by tasting a strand; it should be soft but al dente-that is, slightly resistant to the bite. Immediately drain the spaghetti into a large colander, lifting the strands with a fork to be sure it is thoroughly drained.
- Transfer the spaghetti to a large heated serving bowl and toss it with the soft butter. Bring the sauce in the skillet to a boil over high heat and add the clams.
- Cook the clams, turning them constantly, for 1 or 2 minutes. Then pour the clams and sauce over the spaghetti, sprinkle with parsley, and toss together with two large forks until all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Taste and season with salt and white pepper. Serve at once.