A classic Italian dish made with fresh clams. Posted for ZWT 7-Italy. Found on alleasyrecipes,com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 cup clam broth, fresh from the shucked clams or 1 cup bottled clam juice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 6 -8 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 lb spaghetti or 1 lb linguine
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- 3 dozen small hardshell clams, shucked
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf Italian parsley
- white pepper
- 1In a heavy 10-12 inch skillet, heat the olive oil until a light haze forms over it. Stir in the garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, for about 30 seconds.
- 2Pour in the clam broth and wine and boil briskly over high heat until the foam disappears and the liquid has reduced to about 3/4 cup. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 3In a large kettle or soup pot bring the water and salt to a bubbling boil over high heat.
- 4Drop in the spaghetti and stir it gently with a wooden fork or spoon for a few moments to prevent the strands from sticking to one another or the bottom of the pot.
- 5Boil over high heat, for 7-12 minutes, or until the pasta is tender.
- 6Test it by tasting a strand; it should be soft but al dente-that is, slightly resistant to the bite. Immediately drain the spaghetti into a large colander, lifting the strands with a fork to be sure it is thoroughly drained.
- 7Transfer the spaghetti to a large heated serving bowl and toss it with the soft butter. Bring the sauce in the skillet to a boil over high heat and add the clams.
- 8Cook the clams, turning them constantly, for 1 or 2 minutes. Then pour the clams and sauce over the spaghetti, sprinkle with parsley, and toss together with two large forks until all the ingredients are well mixed.
- 9Taste and season with salt and white pepper. Serve at once.
Browse Our Top Clams Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clams Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spaghetti Con Le Vongole (Spaghetti With Clam Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (1183 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 781.7
- Calories from Fat 261
- Total Fat 29.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 56.2 mg
- Sodium 2762.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 34.5 g