1/2 Photos of Spaghetti Con Cozze E Pomodoro (Mussels and Tomatoes)
I got this book from "Today's Cooking with Chef Pasquale". It is pretty easy to make and the final product is to die for. I have not made it in a few years so preparation time is an estimate. The flavour of the white wine really comes through in the sauce and it complements the mussels well. To reduce the fat and calories slightly, I once omitted the butter as an ingredient and it still tasted amazing. I would serve it with a leafy green salad and some Italian bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 pinch dried sage
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 2 dozen mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded (I usually use about 3 dozen)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese or 2 tablespoons romano cheese
- 1Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti, and cook according to package directions.
- 2Place the mussels in a pot with some water. Cover and steam until the shells have opened and discard those which remain closed.
- 3In a saucepan, heat the oil and butter, and saute the onion and garlic until translucent. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, wine, sage, chili pepper, salt, and pepper to the onions. Let simmer for 10 minutes over moderate heat, stirring occasionally. Add mussels and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- 4Remove mussels from the sauce and set aside.
- 5Drain the pasta and toss with sauce, parsley, and grated cheese.
- 6Divide pasta among 4 or 6 bowls depending on how large you like your servings and divide the mussels among the bowls.
Browse Our Top Mussels Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spaghetti Con Cozze E Pomodoro (Mussels and Tomatoes)
Serving Size: 1 (264 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 497.9
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 29.5 mg
- Sodium 365.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 19.5 g