1/2 Photos of Spaghetti Caruso for 2
1 hr 15 mins
larry #2's Note:
I first ate this wonderful dish in San Francisco (it was a favorite of the famous Tenor, +created by him). Although rich (I only prepare it VERY occasionally), it's well worth the calories and cholesterol. Although I can go home S.F. and EAT IN N. Beach (an Italian Area of S.F.), I try and recreate the feel of a real Italian restaurant.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup flour, seasoned with
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb chicken liver, trimmed and cut in quarters
- 1/4 lb chicken liver, trimmed and cut in half
- 3/4 lb mushroom, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2/3 lb uncooked spaghetti
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1Flour the chicken livers, shaking off any excess and reserve on a plate.
- 2In a large, straight-sided skillet, heat 3 tablespoons EVO oil over medium heat. Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- 3Add onions to skillet and saute for 3 minutes. Add 1 lb of livers and mushrooms; brown for 5 minutes.
- 4Add tomato paste, wine, canned tomatoes,parsley, thyme, basil, bay leaf, salt, pepper and sugar. Stir continuously until like pate. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes- continue to stir ! Add 1/4 lb of halved livers the last 10 minutes.TASTE.
- 5Meanwhile, in a large pot, cook spaghetti according to package directions, adding remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the cooking water(optional). Drain.
- 6Place spaghetti on a heated serving platter and sprinkle with 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Spoon of the spaghetti sauce on top; toss.
- 7Serve immediately.
- 8From Mary Lombardi, Gurnee +larry#1 + Popsie:.
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Livers Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spaghetti Caruso for 2
Serving Size: 1 (1515 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1717.0
- Calories from Fat 414
- Total Fat 46.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 1000.0 mg
- Sodium 1840.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 211.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.2 g
- Sugars 41.1 g
- Protein 98.4 g