Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
My family really enjoyed this meal. We served it with roasted asparagus and Italian seasoned monkey bread. I forgot to reserve the pasta sauce (which is why I put it in the ingredients list) and ended up using a little chicken broth to thin as needed--worked out just fine. Recipe source: Family Circle, January 2008.
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 8 ounces pancetta or 8 slices thick cut bacon, diced
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1⁄4 cups freshly grated pecorino romano cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup reserved pasta water (from cooking spaghetti)
- Cook pasta according to package instructions or until al dente.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add the pancetta (or thick cut bacon) and cook until crisp (approximately 6 minutes). Remove all but 1 tablespoon of the fat.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water and then drain the pasta. Add the past to the skillet of pancetta and toss to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the egg yolks. Turn off the heat under the skillet, add the eggs and 1 cup of cheese, and toss thoroughly to combine. Add the reserved pasta water as needed to thin the sauce to the desired consistency. Season with salt and a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately with the remaining 1/4c of cheese sprinkled on top.