Recipe by Cookin' Mommy
Hot pasta with a savory egg and bacon mixture and pine nuts. This recipe was in an email newsletter from the ConAgra Simple and Delicious website.
Top Review by MamaJ
Carbonara is one of my favorite indulgences but I don't eat it very often because it is so high in fat. This recipe has all the great flavor without all the fat and calories. I also loved the extra flavor the pine nuts and sun dried tomatoes gave this dish. This is best served right away--it gets a little dry if it sits a while before serving. Next time I make this (and there will definitely be a next time) I may increase the egg beaters to a full cup and increase the parmesan a bit just to keep it creamy. Thanks for a terrific recipe CookinQTGranny.
- 16 ounces spaghetti
- 1⁄2 teaspoon canola oil
- 6 ounces Canadian bacon, cut into thin strips
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 12 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained, cut into thin strips
- 3⁄4 cup fat-free liquid egg product, Egg Beaters
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh chives, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Add pasta to large pot of boiling water and cook until tender.
- In a medium skillet heat oil. Add the Canadian bacon, pine nuts, tomatoes and mix until well combined. Cook approximately 4 minutes or until the pine nuts and bacon are a light golden brown. Stir occasionally and remove from heat. Set aside.
- Using a medium bowl, stir together egg beaters, parsley, chives, pepper, and cheese. Set aside.
- Over a large heatproof bowl set your colander. Pour pasta and hot water into colander, this will heat the bowl. Lift colander to drain water from the pasta and pour the hot water out of the now heated bowl.
- IMMEDIATELY put paste in hot bowl and add the egg beater mixture. Toss pasta evenly to coat with egg mixture and set it. Add bacon mixture and toss again.