Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is an adaptation of a recipe by Ainsley Harriott. My husband usually doesn't like pasta but he finishes this before me and asks for more! It is slightly decadent in that it uses a bottle of red wine but is very good!
- 500 g minced beef
- 750 ml red wine, whatever you prefer
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 (500 g) packet spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- parmesan cheese, to serve
- Place the minced meat, red wine, mixed herbs and salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Stir well.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or all day.
- Heat oil in pan.
- Stir fry onion and garlic until soft.
- Add red wine mixture, tomato paste, canned tomatoes, sweet chili sauce and chili flakes.
- Bring to the boil then simmer uncovered for 45 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated and the mixture resembles traditional bolognese consistency.
- (it will be much darker colour than usual).
- Cook the spaghetti as mentioned on the packet.
- At the last minute, stir the chopped parsley through the sauce.
- Add sauce to the drained spaghetti and top with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Serve with a nice glass of red.
Sorry about the rating barb I would like you to check my About Me page to see how I rate recipes :-) I have this recipe by Ainsley, and have often planned to make it, and did so tonight. I marinated the meat last night (maybe too long I think) and cooked this tonight. Russell actually enjoyed this a lot more than I did. I thought the meat tasted just like boiled red wine, with no real other flavours except the chilli. Although we ate it, I wouldn't make it again as I think it (the addition of red wine) made a relatively cheap meal relatively expensive and the flavour didn't live up to that. On a positive note, it was very easy to make.