I've been working on this recipe for years--tweaking and fussing, and I believe it is about ready. My family and friends love it. I also use it as meat sauce filling for lasagna.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb link Italian sausage
- 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions (diced)
- 1 cup bell pepper (diced)
- 1 cup mushroom (sliced)
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons marjoram (dried)
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese (grated)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Brown ground beef, season to taste with salt and pepper, drain and set aside.
- Cut link sausage up into meatball size pieces, brown, drain, and set aside. I use Thomasville Hot. If making sauce for lasagna, remove sausage from casings and brown with the ground beef.
- Sauté garlic, onion, and bell pepper in olive oil, just until the onions are translucent.
- Add meat, tomato sauce, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, herbs and spices, mushrooms, sugar, and wine. I use fresh mushrooms, and a red burgandy for a deeper earthy flavor. Omit mushrooms if making sauce for lasagna.
- Simmer on medium low for at least one hour, stirring occasionally.
- When ready to serve, mix corn starch with water and add to sauce, along with both cheeses to thicken.
- When cheese is incorporated, and sauce has thickened, serve over your choice of pasta or use as a meat filling for lasagna.