Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
Yeah, I know another recipe for "spag-bol" yawn ! ............ Try this one, it's very simple but the long slow cooking really gives the dish a wonderful succulence and flavour. It's also great with kids. This makes heroic amounts of sauce, which can be frozen and used in cannelloni, lasagna, cottage pie, moussaka etc.
- 250 g lean minced steak
- 250 g ground lean pork
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 large onion
- 1 garlic clove (or to taste)
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 liter passata
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 500 g dried spaghetti
- In a large saucepan over a medium heat, heat the oil and saute the onion until soft.
- Increase the heat and add the minced meats and the garlic and cook, stirring well and often to break up the lumps and to prevent burning.
- Keep cooking until the mince is well browned and all the water has been driven off.
- Pour on the wine and stir for ½ a minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring back to the boil.
- Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 2 hours Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the pack.
- Serve the spaghetti with the sauce on top and with plenty of grated cheese (Parmesan) as a topping.