Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This is one of the UK's favourite dishes. Lovely recipe, please try it and enjoy!
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 1⁄2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 6 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- 11 ounces freshly cooked spaghetti
- 1 ounce butter
- parmesan cheese
- Heat a large saucepan on the stove and add the butter.
- Fry the onion, carrot and garlic for a few minutes, stirring all the time.
- Add ground beef and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add wine and tomato paste, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add broth and tomatoes.
- Simmer for 30-45 minutes before adding parsley, worcestershire sauce and plenty of salt and pepper.
- Serve with cooked buttered pasta and freshly grated parmesan.
Excellent sauce! You get a nice richness from the wine, without it specifically tasting like wine itself. I used very lean turkey in this and DH said after simmering for an almost an hour you could not tell it was turkey anymore! I left out the second butter and used a teaspoon of oil for sauteing to make this healthier. I also added bay leaves and Italian seasoning, and topped with a lot of fresh parsley. Mushrooms would be a great addition to this spaghetti sauce. I served this over a pound of pasta and it was still very saucy, feeding 4.
I needed a fast spaghetti sauce and yours was relly good.I used fresh herbs 'cause I can't resist. I made this for WT3.Great recipe; thanks for posting. Rita
My kids had asked for spaghetti and meat sauce and I remembered I'd seen this recipe for the World Tour...kill two birds with one stone, and all that. ;-) It was delicious. The wine cooks down in the sauce to a deep savouriness that some try to achieve quickly by adding red wine vinegar. The worcestershire sauce was a nice touch, too. The family loved it, so this is a definite 5 stars from us!