Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 50 mins
This is a great sauce. I got the recipe from a cooking show about a year ago. The kids request it all the time, we just love it!! Sometimes I put the cream in and sometimes I don't.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces bacon or 4 ounces pancetta, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 3⁄4 cup diced carrot
- 3⁄4 cup diced celery
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb pork sausage, removed from the casings
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes, and their juice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the bacon and cook, stirring, until browned and the fat is rendered, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the onions, carrots and celery and cook, stirring, until soft, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, and cumin and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add the beef and sausages, and cook, stirring, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook, stirring, to deglaze the pan and remove any browned bits sticking to the bottom of the pan, and until half of the liquid is evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, the tomato sauce, beef broth, and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, to keep the sauce from sticking to the bottom of the pan, until the sauce is thickened and flavorful, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the cream and butter, stir well, and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaves and adjust the seasoning, to taste.
- Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm until ready to serve.
- Cook Pasta per instructions on package.
- Serve sauce with cheese and noodles.
I have made this three or four times and it is great. I do add rosemary, basil, and red pepper flakes for more spice. It is a great recipe. Do try this one for an excellent sauce.