Recipe by I'mPat
From Australian Better Homes and Gardens Diabetic Living. Saving as many of their recipes here that I can for that's easier than keeping the magazines. Times estimated. To be used in their lasagne. Can be gluten free using gluten free pasta. By making a double batch you will have some to make Lasagne as another meal.
Top Review by Wendy's Kitchen
I had to add a whole lot of ingredients to get the taste right for us. I found it much to bland with jusdt the tinned tomatoes. Perhaps it depends on the tomatoes? I added 2 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp dried italian herbs, 1 sprinkle of chilli flakes and a jar of organic tomato pasta sauce. Lots of ground black pepper. So I deviated so far from the recipe - but I did make it as written and then had to add all of the above.
- 300 g spaghetti (or gluten free pasta)
- 1⁄4 cup basil (fresh chopped)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion (large, finely chopped)
- 2 celery ribs (finely chopped)
- 2 carrots (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 400 g beef mince (extra lean)
- 810 g tomatoes (canned, chopped, no added extra salt)
- 125 ml water (1/2 cup)
- 2 zucchini (large, finely chopped)
- 130 g head of broccoli (1 small, cut into small florets)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Meat Sauce - heat oil in a large heavy based saucepan on medium and add onion, celery, carrot and garlic and cook uncovered stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes or until vegetable start to soften and then transfer vegetables to a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat pan on medium-high heat and add mince and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until mince changes colour and then add tomatoes and water.
- Cover and bring to the boil and then add the cooked vegetables and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
- Now add zucchini and broccoli and cook covered, for 5 minutes and then remove pan from heat and season well with pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water following packet directions, or until al dente, drain.
- Divide pasta between shallow bowls.
- Stir basil through the meat sauce and then spoon sauce over the pasta.
- OPTIONALS - top with parmesan and extra basil leaves and accompany with a salad of your choice, if you like.